Tuesday 14 July 2015

A skillet diary

It's a funny story how I came upon owning a cast iron skillet in the first place actually...
We were headed outback camping with our friends and  we planned to use pie irons for all of our meals. Turns out on the drive there we realized we had forgotten the pie irons all together!! Which was going to be very difficult with the food we had with us. So a Walmart stop it was and a skillet with aluminum foil had to do the trick! Little did I know at the time I had actually acquired a GREAT new addition to my kitchen!
Here are just a few recipes I have tried in the last couple weeks. The possibilities are endless--just be sure to season your skillet when your done and remember not to wash it with soap. Just water does the trick! I also never follow exact recipes and always change amounts according to how big I want the serving to be. Sorry if this is vague but less rules makes it more fun!!

  S'more Dip
 This is deliciously sweet and great for when your hosting something!I made it for a baby shower. Definitely want to be feeding a crowd!

1 cup marshmallows
1 cup chocolate chips
2 Tblsp milk

(more marshmallows for top)  
Melt together on stove top until runny in your skillet. Then top with a layer of marshmallows and broil in oven until golden brown! (Approx 2min)
Serve with graham crackers to dip in it!! 

This was super easy to go from stove top to oven only using the one dish! 
 
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
(courtesy of one of my Martha Stewart Living magazines)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350degrees, mix ingredients in large bowl and transfer to oven proof skillet. Smooth top with spatula and bake until golden brown! (about 20min) Let cool and and then enjoy!!


Egg Bake
(courtesy of Chatelaine magazine with lot's of tweaks ;)

 1 tsp cumin
Red onion ( I used 1/2 of large onion)
pinch of garlic
Colourful bell peppers (I used two different coloured halves)
1 tbsp honey
1 Tomatoe
1 tsp paprika
Salt and Pepper
Eggs (I used 3)
Feta cheese

Cook seasonings,onion and peppers on med heat until slightly soft then add tomatoes. Make three wholes to drop eggs into. Sprinkle salt, pepper and feta cheese
across top and bake at 400degrees until your eggs are cooked to your liking :) This was a great Saturday morning breakfast!

Broiled Salmon and Zucchini Slaw
(zucchini slaw courtesy of Martha Stewart Living Magazine)

I LOVE my salmon broiled and it's super quick for dinner! 
 Set oven to broil and place salmon pieces in skillet. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Broil in oven about 8-10min until done. Top with more freshly squeezed lemon!

Zucchini Slaw
1 zucchini
1 celery stalk
1 apple
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4cup sunflower seeds
fresh basil or parsley
Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!  



As you can see I just love eating...which means I love to cook in order to enjoy my love of eating! I hope you can enjoy some of these recipes yourself! Like I said, I NEVER follow the exact amount in recipes. I am constantly finding recipes online and magazines and  making changes that work with what I have in my kitchen or something I like even more! And when it comes to chocolate...well I always add more ;) Enjoy!!

From my home to yours,
Elycia 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment